Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Iran Protester Sentenced to Death

"Tehran, Iran (CNN) -- An Iranian court has sentenced one person to death and eight others to prison for their parts in anti-government demonstrations in December, the semi-official Fars news agency reported Tuesday.

The nine defendants were tried last week over their roles in protests during the Shiite Muslim holy period of Ashura, Fars said, quoting the Tehran judiciary's public relations office.
There now are 10 people sentenced to death and awaiting appeal in connection with the protests.

Two men already have been executed for participating in anti-government demonstrations, but a lawyer for one of them said her client was already in jail when the protests began."


"Arash Rahmanipour, under the powers granted to me by the supreme Ayatollah, you have been found guilty of conspiracy against the government and waging war against God. Your sentence, to be carried out immediately, is death by hanging." The judge took off his glasses and closed the file containing the judgement papers with a certain finality. He leaned over the front of the judge's podium and handed them with a sweeping, dramatic flourish to the clerk of the court.

"Your honor, with all due respect, I think a mistake has been made," Arash burst out, sweat glistening on his brow while his lawyer tried to restrain him.

The judge glared at the sudden, unexpected interruption. "Godless men should not speak and besmirch the sanctity of this holy courtroom! You sir are indeed guilty! You participated in these heinious American imperialist and Zionest inspired crimes. As God is Great and God is my witness, you shall pay for your transgressions with your life!"

Arash was beside himself as the Revolutionary guards seized him by both arms.

"But your honor, I was in a detention cell, I was nowhere near the demonstrations against the election! Not that I wouldn't have particpated in them, as I think Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is a fraud, but with all due respect and in the name of God, the Compassionate, the Merciful, how can you put me to death for a parking ticket? I came to the police station to pay the ticket and I was immediately arrested with no provocation. I am a devout muslim, I go to Friday prayers every week, I pray seven times a day towards Mecca, even during my lunch hour, though there was that one time when I was stuck in rush hour traffic in downtown Tehran, but I made up for it with double my alms to the poor beggar outside my apartment. What have I done wrong?"

The judge slammed his fist on the table. "What have you done wrong? I will tell you what you have done wrong. The five Pillars of Islam are the foundation of Muslim life. Faith or belief in the Oneness of God and the finality of the prophethood of Muhammad; Establishment of the daily prayers; Concern for and almsgiving to the needy; Self-purification through fasting; and the pilgrimage to Mecca for those who are able." The judge stopped and stared hard at the condemned. "There is none worthy of worship except God and Muhammad is the messenger of God!"

Arash paused, and then looked around, befuddled. "And, which of these rules have I broken?"

"You parked in my parking space. Take him away!"

***




No comments:

Post a Comment